- Make sure your apparel, as to matter and fashion, is in accord with your general and special calling, 1 Tim 2:9-10, and with your estate, sex, and age, Deut 12:5.
- Make sure your apparel is consistent with health and comeliness, 1 Cor 11:14-15, 1st Cor 12:23.
- Make sure you go with the lowest rather than the highest of your state and place.
- Ensure your fashion is neither strange, immodest, singular [strange or odd], nor ridiculous, Zeph 1:8.
- Do not take up too much time in putting it on or even considering your dress.
- Make sure neither the making or wearing of your apparel savours of pride, lightness, curiosity, lasciviousness, prodigality, or base covetousness, Isa 3:18-24. But rather ensure it becomes holiness, wisdom, and honesty, and such as is well reported of, Phil. 4:8, 1st Cor 11:4-5.
- Follow the example of those of your rank and means, who are most sober, most frugal and most discreet.
From The Christian’s Daily Walk Why We Need Clothing When you arise and dress yourself, lose not that precious time (when your mind is freshest) with impertinent and fruitless thoughts, as is the custom of many. This is a fit time to think upon the reason why you have need of apparel, which stems from the fall and sin of your first parents. Their sin is passed on to you. Before their fall, their nakedness was their comeliness [attractiveness], Gen 1:31, and seeing it, they were not ashamed, Gen 2:25. It will likewise be good to consider what the wise providence of God appointed to be the substance of your apparel: the rinds of plants, the skins, hair, or wool of brute beasts, and the bowels of the silkworm; the very excretions and superfluous apparel of unreasonable creatures. Which, since it magnifies the wisdom, power, and goodness of God, in choosing and turning such mean things to such an excellent use: so it should humble and suppress the pride of man. For what man in his senses would be proud of the badge of his shame, even of that apparel, for which (under God) he is beholden even to plants and beasts? Practical Matters in Dressing Now also is a good time to call to mind what rules are to be observed, that you may dress yourself as becomes one that professes godliness, namely: