Free Presbyterian Church of Scotland History
The Free Presbyterian Church of Scotland was formed in 1893, to enable a continued faithful witness to the historical, reformed church of Scotland. It has no affiliation with any of the other churches which use the name Free Presbyterian.
More details on the Free Presbyterian Church of Scotland can be found here.
History of the Free Presbyterian Church of Scotland in Vancouver
In 1916, several families in Vancouver invited Rev. Donald Beaton, who was in Winnipeg as the Church Deputy, to come to Vancouver to conduct some church services for them. The following year a petition was sent by the adherents to the Synod of the Free Presbyterian Church of Scotland, requesting spiritual oversight.
In 1922, construction of a church building was completed and the Vancouver congregation was formed. A medical missionary, Mr. Donald Matheson, ministered to the congregation from 1922-1928, with the help of Mr. Hugh McKay, ruling elder.
From 1922 to 1952, several ministers from Scotland served the congregation for several months at a time. In 1952, Rev. Dr. McDonald became the first (full time) minister of the Vancouver Free Presbyterian Church of Scotland congregation. Prior to his arrival, Dr. McDonald had been a medical missionary in what is now known as Zimbabwe. He served the Vancouver congregation until the early 1970’s.
From circa 1975 until 1989, a minister and other officers served the congregation. In 1989, many of the congregation left to join another. For many years Free Presbyterian public services were continued.
In 2014, some families formed what was then called the Vancouver Reformed Church. Soon after formation, this congregation approached the Free Presbyterian Church of Scotland to inquire about the prospect of resuming Free Presbyterian services in Vancouver. In 2017, this congregation was brought under the oversight of the Chesley, Ontario Kirk Session of the Free Presbyterian Church of Scotland.