- if the heart be not seriously affected with anger, fear, grief, and shame for sin;
- if it be not affected with a thankful acknowledgment of being beholden to God for his favours;
- if it be not affected with hope and confidence in God at the remembrance of his blessed promises;
- if the heart be not gained to a renewed resolution to reform what is faulty, and to cry earnestly to God for grace and mercy; and for the time to come to endeavour to live a godly life;
- then all your preparation is nothing.
From The Christian’s Daily Walk A heartless, hasty, prayer is an agent to sin. A cursory performing of holy duties is a highway to a habit of hypocrisy. A caution to be observed in your preparation to prayer, and in prayer, is: be not slight and formal herein. This is when you, cursorily [hastily] and out of custom only, [bring forward] your sins, your duties, God's favours and his promises into a bare and fruitless remembrance. For: