From The Christian’s Daily Walk. Headings are not the author’s.
Reflect on sins against the Gospel of Jesus Christ
Beside the breaches of God’s holy law, have I not been guilty of many sins peculiarly against the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ, such as:
Opposition to, and hatred of Christ and His cause, being incensed [angry] against Him and His method of salvation, or vilifying [disrespecting] His gospel by word or writing (Isa 45:25).
Skepticism and gross infidelity [unbelief], from a disinclination [dislike] to conviction of sin or from neglecting to impartially, in the fear of God, weigh the evidences in proof of the heavenly mission of our Lord and Saviour (John 5:39). [Doubting and unbelief do not rightly fear God and therefore do not rightly consider the weight of the Gospel in the Scriptures.]
Unsound faith, does not extend to all the revealed truths and duties of the gospel, either through:
- Culpable [inexcusable] ignorance, or
- Strong prejudice, resolving [deciding] to believe:
- no further than I can presently comprehend fully, or
- no more than is consistent with the quiet of my conscience in an evil course of behaviour (John 3:19).
Or has it [i.e., my faith] been a mere notional [theoretical] and historical faith? However extensive towards all the doctrines, duties, promises, and threatenings of the gospel, [it is] yet fatally lacking:
- by not being joined with heart impressions, humbling the soul, making me poor in spirit at the feet of Christ;
- by not seeking the glory of God and the Redeemer, and my own salvation, as my chief business (Gal 6:15);
- because it does not purify the heart (Acts 24:18);
- because it does not work not by love (Gal 5:6);
- because it does not unite the soul to Christ, so as to crucify the flesh with the affections and lusts (Gal 5:24); and
- because it directs not the whole conversation [lifestyle] by the will and example of our acknowledged Lord and Master.